Saturday, September 19, 2009

How am I going to use this blog with students?

At this point in my career, I am unsure how exactly I will use the idea of blogging in my classroom because I do not have a classroom of my own and I sub in various grades. I was asked if I thought it would be possible to use blogging in my substitute teaching and my answer to that is probably not with the students. Although it is a neat idea to have students from various schools and grades post messages and respond to each other, I don't see how it could possibly work. I would need permission from parents as well as computer and Internet access for the students in each placement that I go to. Also, I would need to find time to have them do the assignment while also fitting in what the teacher wants me to get done. My final concern would be explaining to the students how to blog if they have never done so. In the future when blogging becomes more widespread I think that it would be a great idea for substitute teachers to use, however, I don't think that it is possible at the present time.

Getting back to how I could use a blog in my classroom, I will just choose one grade and subject to base my idea on. I will base these ideas on 4th or 5th grade ELA (reading). I think that I would use blogging in my classroom with students as they read novels. I would post a discussion question for them to answer or an idea to think about as they read. I think that it would be a lot easier to have students comment on each others' posts than it would be to sit in class and try to get each student to participate in the discussion. I will admit that I was a very shy student in school. I would do all the reading, but did not enjoy participating in class discussions. For students who are uncomfortable sharing in class, the idea of a blog allows them to still get their participation grade.

5 comments:

  1. Amber,

    I see that one of your concerns is explaining to the students how to use the blog. Depending on the grade level you will probably have to show them a few times how to log on step by step and teach and show them how to use the different tools. With me being a 2nd grade teacher, I would have to take a week or two to explain to the students as well as the parents how to log on and use it. It would definitly be a work in progress, but once the students and parents played with it a bit, I think it would really benefit them.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Amber--
    I posted my comments on your blog on Friday night and now I am unable to find my comments. I'm not sure where to look as what I posted isn't listed under the archives If you could shed some light on my disappearing response I would greatly appreciate it. I am going to re-post my response so that it can be included in the conversation that is taking place.
    Thanks.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Amber--
    First off, I want to commend you for going out into your district subbing. Some teachers never experience the "substitute teacher," role and in all honesty I think that all teachers should spend time subbing. Being in the trenches without a classroom of your own gives teachers a whole new perspective on how the educational system works. Seeing how different staffs work together, seeing the climate of different classrooms, and experiencing the diverse roles of various teachers.

    I subbed for six months in the school district I went to school in. I spent most days at the high school I went to and I must say, my eyes were opened to a whole new side of education. Subbing can be really challenging especially after just graduating and ending student-teaching. Talk about reality smacking someone in the face...substitute teaching does just that. I've talked to many people that have subbed for over twenty years and still continue to do so because of the freedom to work or not. I look at it as survival of the fittest! I wish you luck on your job search. Keep me posted.

    By the way, how do you think you might be able to use your blog while subbing? Could you have classes you are working with post and other classes another day respond? I'm just curious if you think blogging could be used in any capacity while subbing.

    ReplyDelete
  4. KatieV-
    I agree that once the students get the hang of it they will have little difficulty. However, my concern was with using blogging as a substitute teacher. I was explaining that that would be one of the reasons why it would not work with various classes because I am not with the same class every day. I have no problem using blogging in my classroom, but not as a substitute teacher (I currently do not have my own classroom yet).

    Courtney-
    I got your post on the blog message board and I think that it was posted on my blog under a different post. Thanks for posting again though!

    -Amber

    ReplyDelete
  5. Amber,
    I completely understand not having your own classroom and being a sub. Subbing is a hard thing to do, or at least I thought it was. I graduated in December and couldn't find a job mid year so I subbed for about 6 months. It would definitly be challenging and quite impossible to have a blog as a sub when you never have the same class.

    ReplyDelete